Business Coach & Mentor • Unicorn Consultants
A Unicorn is a legendary creature or more simply, a unique, very rare find. Typically, a unicorn is also considered to be a creature that is pure of spirit and “magical”.
To understand why this should matter to YOU, as a business owner, a good starting point is for me to explain the difference between a “Business Coach” and a “Mentor“. It should also be mentioned that there are a host of similarities, not just differences, as well. These are elaborated on here.
A Business Coach will advise you on what you need to do to be better, both as an individual and as a business owner/professional.
This role involves helping you to address any mental obstacles that may be blocking you from realising your full potential.
They help you develop your purpose and often ask you questions to help you discover your own “why’s”…..
- Why did you start your business?
- Why do you feel burnt out?
- Why do you do what you do?
You might need a business coach if…
- You consistently ruin your own plans.
- You’re afraid of success or of increased responsibility.
- You find yourself shying away from normal aspects of business maintenance, like:
- Replying to customer complaints and queries;
- Doing the “hard work” of finances;
- Meeting with investors or potential clients;
- Developing the right staff culture through hands-on hiring and firing of staff and implementing relevant customer service strategies.
- You just find it hard to get up, get motivated and take care of your business.
Business coaches will help you with problems that directly impact your business and connect you with the right people and tools that can get you to the next level.
A mentor is an adviser who normally provides solutions to business owners with temporary problems.
A mentor works with the often “hard” aspects of a business. This should result in providing the business owner more time and overall capacity to work ON the business, rather than IN it.
Key issues that a mentor can/will address include:
- Business planning
- Social media marketing and overall online presence, including website development, branding and the like
- Customer success strategies
- Systems and processes
- Wealth protection & business continuity planning
To figure out if a business coach is actually a coach-mentor (Unicorn), look at the services offered and the experience they share on their site.
If they talk about topics like growing your business or increasing your profits but also talk about work ethic and personal responsibility, integrity and the like, then chances are that they’re a coach-mentor.
Even more information on the differences AND similarities between a business coach and a mentor can be found on my other site here.
BOTTOM LINE: When you need or want help with managing and protecting your business outcomes, ALWAYS HIRE A UNICORN!
I want to thank Phil Manhire from The Manhire Consultancy. He's been terrific in his support of me and my business since I employed him to do some social media marketing for me on Facebook. If you need some help with your business, get in touch with Phil as I know he'll look after you well and as he's done with me, help you to grow your business.
Get in touch with me
If you’d like to get in touch and learn more, fill out the form below or use my direct details above.